Time Management is a journey that begins today.

Learn the skills necessary to:
~ Know what to do, when to do it, and how to start it ~
~ Control your calendar so it doesn't control you ~
~ Manage your out-of-control inbox ~
~ Discover what's important to you ~
~ Act and stop reacting ~

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Creating a Sacred Workspace

Create Sacred Space? Really? Where I'm working, where I spread out my papers, answer the phone and set up my computer is really a sacred space?

Well, yes. At least it should be; especially in terms of "sacred" meaning something that is set apart.

If you're someone that works in an office building with other co-workers--your basic, typical office environment, this is pretty much established for you, though it may seem anything but sacred. But if you're like me and work from home then your office space is not so clearly deliniated; and if your home office is in a small apartment--like mine-- then the office also serves as dining room, living room, gaming center, media center, etc. What happens to me is that I get horribly distracted. This has four basic results:
  1. I start focusing on other, less important things, or
  2. I start multi-multi-tasking and my energy is so dispersed that I get nothing done, or
  3. I pulled into something mind-numbing and unproductive like surfing the web or playing a game and the next thing I know the day has gone, or
  4. I get so frustrated that I just walk away watch TV or something.

Clearly, those are not productive!

So what can you do about it? Well, if you're lucky enough to have some mobility in your office equipment (laptop, cell phone, iPad, etc) then go someplace else! Change the scenary for a while. Maybe find another room. If the weather is nice, go sit on your front porch or go to the park (and if those places happen to have wifi, all the better!) Head to the library and work there for a bit.

If you're not that mobile, (for example, while I have mobile equipment, the majority of my resources on on the desktop computer at home and that limits my ability to work away from the desk) then you have to find some ways to "sanctify" the space you have in order to refocus.

Since I'm physically limited in where I can go, I have found a few simple and oddly ritualistic things that help. Now, don't be afraid of ritual! We are, actually, ritual beings. Rituals are a symbolic language that speaks to us on very deep, subconscious levels and can communicate things to our psyche that all the trainings and readings and seminars just won't ever reach.

First, unclutter what's right in front of you. For me, that is NOT easy... just ask Jordan. I am a clutter person; I believe God made flat surfaces to stack stuff on. I have no delusions that I will change this behavior (sorry, Jordan) but to help me focus I can grab the loose papers and various wires, books and light bulbs that are sitting within a 45 degree viewing area in front of me and I can move them someplace else. Outta sight, outta mind!

Second, the stuff that you can't move, or might need handy, neaten up. Restack them; line them up. Put all the pens in the holder and put it in a neat place; line things up in right angles (you don't have to be OCD, but it helps!) and move them outward towards the edges of that 45 degree area in front of you, trying your best to keep the area right in front of you clear, with the exception of your keyboard or perhaps a pad of paper that you're using.

Third, find something that will engage your senses to "sanctify" the space. When I sit down, I now light a little stick of incense that I have off to the side. This signals my brain, through my sense of smell, that what is happening now is special and deserves my attention. Don't have, or don't like, incense? No problem. Use an icon, statue, crystal, rock, or piece of potter--anything that visually establishes that the space is now set apart and special.

Using cues from your senses--touch, smell, sight, even taste (coffee does it for me!)--you can communicate to yourself that the space you are using is now set aside for something special, and that special thing is work. When you're done, get up, move the "sacred object" and put it away and let the space return to it's other uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment